Our curriculum is designed to stimulate learning and engage all of our pupils. It is a fully integrated curriculum which makes connections between existing knowledge, new knowledge and a thirst for learning more about the wider world.
We use the principles of inquiry and life-long learning in order to ensure that the learning in each year group is meaningful to the pupils. We encourage the children to apply their skills and knowledge to the wider world beyond the classroom.
Each half term the children work through a unit (topic) which is encapsulated by a central idea which draws the unit together. Each unit has a set of questions that serve to drive learning, ensure National Curriculum coverage and focus on the skills from each of the subject areas. The children are also encourage to ask their own questions. These may be answered through teacher planning or through time that is set aside by the teacher at the end of each unit.
At Mornington, we hope to:
- Provide a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum which provides continuity, high expectations and progression.
- Help children to become more independent and take greater ownership of their learning, developing their confidence and motivation to learn.
- Embed key skills in order to prepare children for real-life and everyday situations.
- Provide a creative approach to planning and delivery that will incorporate and embed key aspects of the National Curriculum.
- Stimulate our children’s natural curiosity.
- Help our children to transfer skills between different areas of the curriculum in order to encourage flexibility and resourcefulness and to enable them to use their strengths in one area to overcome challenges in another.
- Allow time to engage, reflect and review – including peer and self-evaluation.
- Develop learners’ enquiring minds and scientific approaches to problems and apply skills.
Each half term class teachers will send out a Curriculum Flyer to parents to share further detail about the curriculum for their child. These can also be found on the My School APP.